Tuesday, August 4, 2009

More Cutting in the Trunk

Today was spent cutting out the bulk head in back of the trunk, that separated the trunk from the fuel tank area. Here's what it looked like before:

And after:

I have a bit grinding to do to get the opening nice and even, but that won't take too long. I'm going to have a plastic box built, just like the battery boxes, to fit in that space. I built another mock up out of cardboard to make sure it all fits.

This new box won't hold batteries (not enough room). Instead I'll be mounting the charger and the DC to DC converters. After giving it lots of thought, I decided to go with two DC to DC converters. Each one can put out about 40 amps at 12 Volts DC. The power steering pump alone can pull up to 75, so clearly one just wouldn't be enough.

I had thought that I'd put in an auxiliary 12 battery to handle the extra load, but realized the battery alone wouldn't be a good plan. Instead I'm going with two converters AND the battery. It just keeps getting more complicated. But that's ok, I'm trying to build this so that I have as few compromises as possible.

By the way, thanks to my good friend Len in Malta for the great suggestion of using the back of the trunk and fuel tank cavity in such a productive way. Hope you're well Len!

No comments: