Let me start out by saying that I debated long and hard with myself whether I should use such a nerdy title for this post. In one regard, it's beautifully elegant and accurate in it's description of the current situation. On the other hand, it betrays the fact that I am a big dork. But, when it comes down to it, you must be true to yourself, so dork it is!
The motor is back in the car! I spent yesterday afternoon bolting the adaptor plate, hub, flywheel, and clutch up to the motor. Today I mounted the transmission to the motor assembly and then, with my dad's help, lowered it into the car again. I desperately hope that I never have to remove it again. But if I do, at least I'm getting good at it.
I got the linkages for the shift knob connected, and everything seem absolutely great at this time. Once it was all bolted down, I took some of the cardboard templates I'd made while waiting for the motor's return and started placing them in the engine compartment trying to sort out battery layout. It's looking more an more like getting all 31 batteries up front and mounted vertically is going to be easier than I'd first thought.
There's no question that I have a lot to do, but I'm going to attack it pretty aggressively over the next few days. I don't really know how long before I'm back on the road. I'd hazard a guess of more than two weeks and less than 3, but we'll see.